Thursday, August 23, 2018

Tech Addiction






Most people tend to agree that technology has brought positive changes to our world but with its own side effects – tech addiction being one of those side effects. I used to be so addicted to Facebook that I had to set up two different passwords to open the app on my cell phone. The addiction deterred me from having real conversations with my friends and people close to me. It certainly crippled my communication and social skills. Fortunately for me, it did not lead to depression – a result numerous studies have found to come from our addiction to social media – but I did become lonely overtime.
The author describes the situation correctly when she says, “the problem lies not with our desire to connect, but with our form of connection.” Getting rid of technology from our lives certainly would not be a viable option and technology has brought numerous benefits to humanity in science, health and many sectors. Personally, I am still receiving most information about current affairs in domestic and international politics, new technologies and other topics of interest from my Facebook app. Only this time, I have learnt to control how I use the social media. If we as humans want to advance successfully, we must be in full control of the resources available at our hands and not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Ends Relations With Washington Firm that Attempted to Discredit its Critics

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/technology/facebook-definers-soros.html Facebook announced on Thursday that it has cut ties with the...